Kirby Lawsuit Dismissed Part 2

One of the things I’ve never understood is the hatred I’ve seen directed at Jack and his children over the Disney/Marvel vs. Kirby matter. I can understand the feeling that Marvel/Disney legally owns all of Jack’s creations, and I can also understand fans who want to get more Marvel movies and toys so they feared the lawsuit might slow down that process, but I don’t get the ferocious anger I’ve seen directed at Jack’s family on various internet chat sites. It’s almost as if a significant part of the population needs someone to direct their rage at.

Maybe if more people knew how hard Jack worked on all the Marvel intellectual properties, they’d feel his family at least deserves something? Or maybe a significant part of our culture wants 99% of the wealth to belong to a tiny handful of corporations? I still hope Marvel and Disney will give Jack’s Family a small settlement — I’d love to see a happy ending to this, but it’s beginning to look like the happy endings we see in Disney movies aren’t a reflection of how they treat their creators.

I guess Disney/Marvel and the people who tell Jack’s family to @#$% off can celebrate today. Here are a couple typical comments at the end of the second article I posted earlier to give you a glimpse into the Disney/Marvel vs. Kirby dialogue taking place in cyberspace. I obscured the profanity for those of you who are offended by that kind of language.

Comments to article:

“Marvel Wins Big In Jack Kirby Estate Lawsuit – Comics studio wins summary judgement in a case that could’ve cost them millions.”

Burrobean on July 28, 2011 at 2:18 p.m.

While this decision may follow the letter of the law, it still doesn’t feel like justice. Kirby deserved far better treatment by Marvel, and so does his family. Anyone remember Kirby’s battle with Marvel to get his original art back? They fought him tooth and nail on that one.

VioletEyedDragon is online on July 28, 2011 at 2:19 p.m.

the instant i heard about this Kirby lawsuit i thought it was nuts.  its great the judge didnt waste anymore time letting the Kirby estate try to steal hard-earned money.

Om1kron on July 28, 2011 at 2:38 p.m.

Um, if Jack Kirby created the characters why does his greedy ass family need any of the money he supposedly deserves for any kick backs I don’t understand how in the hell that’s supposed to work. It’s not like he OWNED a part of Marvel, the guy made a few characters that happened to weather the storm and now his offspring want some kickbacks.

@#$% them!

MrMazz on July 28, 2011 at 5:25 p.m.

they paid him to create and draw and he was paid for his services. Coming back years later asking for a new deal because the IP holders have turned it into something more successful isn’t right.

Xaviersx on July 28, 2011 at 5:55 p.m.

Those old companies are sure having to deal with some old issues . . almost putting Marvel in reboot territory with its distinguished competitors who dealing with creators heirs and dodging control/money issues. Interesting how two companies that can’t get along are kinda back to back in close fights. Of course, they have big backers in their parent companies. Either way, it’s established that creators should create their own IP outside of contracted work and bring to backers as a creator owned IP, or understand that they are creating and/or working on company owned/work for hire stuff and may only see critical reward besides work pay. So, at least today’s waters aren’t muddy.

mike20 on July 28, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

Lawsuits like this shouldn’t even make it to court.

Doctorchimp on July 28, 2011 at 9:33 p.m.

Except Kirby is @#$%ing dead and this is just his family wanting some greedy cash.

Kirby was hired to make characters for Marvel and he did just that.